Vocational Services Manager
Seeking a New Challenge?
Senior Leadership Team Role
Competitive Salary Package
About The GEO Group Australia
The GEO Group is the country's leading provider of outsourced correctional services, operating in NSW and VIC. We aim to deliver better corrections and create safer communities. We focus on providing a continuum of care and integration of services to make a real difference in the lives of people we work with. As a Registered Training Provider (number 3570), GEO offers a wide variety of training programs which are nationally accredited.
Our company is defined by us always acting with Integrity, showing everyone Respect without fail, being Accountable at all times, always being Agile and continuously looking for opportunities to be Innovative.
For more information about our organisation and Junee Correctional Centre, visit our website at www.geogroup.com.au
To view our videos, including the type of individuals we seek to join our business, click here.
About Junee Correctional Centre
Junee Correctional Centre is located in Junee, New South Wales, 40 kilometres north-east of Wagga Wagga.
Junee has been continually managed by GEO on behalf of Corrective Services NSW since opening in 1993. It is Southern New South Wales' largest regional correctional centre.
Junee's primary role is to safely and securely house up to 910 adult male prisoners and progress their sentence plans by delivering a comprehensive range of education, vocational training, reintegration and offending behaviour programs. Together, these lower a prisoners' risk of re-offending and increase the likelihood of successful community reintegration.
The team at Junee achieves exceptionally high levels of prisoner engagement with its responsive interventions. This includes developing strategies that encourage and enable previously marginalised prisoner groups such as Indigenous Australians and the chronically ill to participate.
About the Opportunity
The Vocational Services Manager (VSM) is responsible for the ongoing integration and strategic direction of education, vocational training and inmate employment. The VSM ensures inmates engage in meaningful and interesting work, that literacy and numeracy is woven into industries and other inmate employment, and that skills developed have real world application.
The VSM has management and administration responsibilities across a range of industries and domestic operations including the farm, laundry, cleaning and recycling. The VSM is also responsible for increasing the post-release employability of inmates by providing access to nationally recognized and accredited education and vocational training opportunities that meet local and state- wide workforce demands.
By building post-release employment pathways and increasing the job readiness and employability of Junee's inmates, the VSM contributes to GEO's goal of increasing positive community reintegration outcomes and reducing re-offending.
This is a role which requires a high degree of people, administration and management skills.
In particular your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Integrate the GEO Continuum of Care vision and operating philosophy into the fabric of the prison environment, ensuring all staff are aligned to inmate rehabilitation and reintegration through vocational services.
- Lead by example, demonstrating the benefits and value of prosocial inmate engagement in developing a positive prison social climate.
- Demonstrate and model GEO values in everything you do - Integrity, Respect, Accountable, Agile and Innovation.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of Junee's Vocational Services Department including the delivery of quality education, relevant vocational training and meaningful inmate employment.
- Provide direct line management to the Education Coordinator, Trade Instructors, Employment Coordinator, Learning Resource Centre Coordinator and an Administration Support Officer.
- Provide operational management and oversight of all Industry Trade Training Centres (ITTCs) which may include construction, engineering and automotive, horticulture, hospitality and maintenance, and domestic operations including farm, laundry, cleaning and recycling.
- Provide operational management and oversight of education and vocational training services and the Learning Resource Centre ensuring eligible inmates are assessed for their education and training needs, responsive interventions are identified and reflected in case plans, and service delivery timeframes are met.
- Ensure each VET program is delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that is registered with the Australian Skills Quality Authority.
- Ensure vocational training meaningfully contributes to employability through meeting identifiable labour skill shortages and the vocational interests of Inmates.
- Effectively manage contracts with commercial partners and subcontractors.
- Identify employment partners and pathways for Inmates exiting the Prison based on the skills learned through vocational training, ITTCs and domestic operations.
- Monitor changing conditions of Inmate labour supply, customer relations, and Inmates' needs providing the General Manager with timely reports on the operating performance of all Vocational Services.
- Efficiently and effectively manage the Vocational Services budget and ensure production targets are met.
- Develop, implement and review all policies and procedures relating to functional department responsibilities in line with any contractual, GEO and Legislative requirements in place and ensuring ongoing continuous improvement of these.
- Participate in inmate management committees, community consultative committees, policy and procedure development, continuous improvement and other tasks assigned by the General Manager.
- Responsible for ensuring contractual compliance to service specifications, KPIs, reporting, planning and legislative requirements as it pertains to the Vocational Services model.
- Ensure compliance with all contract Performance Measures, Company Policies and Procedures and the Governance, Risk and Compliance Manual.
The hours for this full-time role are Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm.
Skills and Experience
Our ideal candidate will have:
Tertiary qualifications in education and/or trade management experience.
Minimum 3 years supervisory, coordination or management experience in a trade or teaching environment.
Sound working knowledge and proven experience in at least one of: manufacturing operations, warehouse operations, food services management, purchasing or other relevant industry.
Proven ability to manage and motivate staff in a team environment.
Proven ability to think strategically and independently, be resourceful and make responsible decisions.
A commitment to positively meeting the employment and vocational training needs of inmates and a genuine desire to contribute to reducing reoffending.
Proven ability to plan, establish priorities, work objectives and problem solve.
Qualifications in Business Management (desirable).
Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment (desirable).
About the Benefits
Joining GEO is your chance to make a real and lasting difference in the lives of prisoners, their families and the community. Benefits of working for GEO, include but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary
- Salary sacrifice options available
- Ongoing professional development opportunities (including further education sponsorship)
- Free parking
- Employee Assistance Program
- Subsidised gym
- Internal career opportunities
- Many other employee (and family) benefits
In order to assist GEO in processing your application for employment and determining your suitability and eligibility for a position with The GEO Group Australia, we ask that you complete a short questionnaire as part of the application process.
Due to the nature of our industry you will find that some of the questions contained in this questionnaire are unique and are different from those that you may have encountered in applying for other positions.
Please note: If you are successful in obtaining an interview for this position you will be required to complete a Statutory Declaration attesting your answers to this questionnaire.
At the end of the questionnaire, you will be required to attach a current Resume.
For any further information about the application process, please contact HR Officer, Sarah Bishop on (02) 6930 5583.
To obtain further information about this role, download the position description HERE or contact the General Manager, Scott Brideoake on (02) 6930 5502.
Make a real difference - Apply Now!
Applications Close - Sunday 1st November 2020 at Midnight
GEO is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are highly encouraged to apply